Ninja Warriors Eat Their Green Beans
Josiah has decided that perhaps it is important to eat his green beans. He has somehow decided that all of the winning contestants of our favorite after-dinner show, Ninja Warrior, definitely eat their green beans. I guess he made this up himself after hearing us try to tempt him into eating his veggies by saying they would make him "big and strong".
For those of you going "Huh, what the heck is Ninja Warrior?" I will attempt to explain. It's a Japanese show that airs on our G4 channel. It's a reality show that pits endless waves of sometimes bizarre competitors against an obstacle course in four stages. Most everyone gets weeded out during the first stage. One has to have a great deal of upper-body strength to endure the rigors of even the first course, and it gets progressively harder. The final stage is a challenge to rope climb 50' in 30 seconds. It's pretty rare that anyone gets there. I think I've seen it done once.
The best part are the strange characters who show up to compete. It's not uncommon for the contestants to dress the part of their profession, so we've seen gas-station attendants, crab fishermen, firemen, transsexual pole dancers, samba dancers. Ladies are welcome to try out on the men's course, so there's always a couple who take that chance, however, there is a separate women's competition. Also fun is watching people wipe out, dislocate shoulders, bang heads and fall into the swampy pits under the obstacle course. The English translations from the Japanese announcers are pretty dang funny, too.
Anyway, we love to have our warm and fuzzy family dinner together at the table and then retire to the living room to watch a little Ninja Warrior. We get a little ramped up with all the excitement and before long, the kids are turning somersaults and running back and forth along the window seat doing karate chops. Anyhow. And just so everyone knows, it is a very un-violent show...no one fights and the injuries, although they sound horrendous, are really quite minimal. It's actually a good example for the kids to see the very polite Japanese competitors cheering each other on and crying out in distress when their arch-rivals fail in the third round.
OK, enough about Ninja Warrior. We didn't do too much this past week. We're just getting ready for our first packout, which is (gulp) on the 15th. It's coming up quick. It just hit me today that we have about three weeks left in this house. Even though I cheered when we dropped the last (!) rent check off at the bank this week, I am going to miss this house and especially this neighborhood. Although we have endured freezing cold, searing heat, rodents, ants, skunks and godawful utility bills, living on The Point has been a treat. I am so glad that we decided to live here. Sniff.
Then it's on to the Navy Lodge, which should be interesting. I'm taking heart in the fact that I can crank the heat up as high as I want it and that I won't have to clean every single day, or I'll have to clean a lot less square footage anyway! I'm sure I'll still clean every day...that's just who I am. Jan's daughter.
Love ya, Mom!
For those of you going "Huh, what the heck is Ninja Warrior?" I will attempt to explain. It's a Japanese show that airs on our G4 channel. It's a reality show that pits endless waves of sometimes bizarre competitors against an obstacle course in four stages. Most everyone gets weeded out during the first stage. One has to have a great deal of upper-body strength to endure the rigors of even the first course, and it gets progressively harder. The final stage is a challenge to rope climb 50' in 30 seconds. It's pretty rare that anyone gets there. I think I've seen it done once.
The best part are the strange characters who show up to compete. It's not uncommon for the contestants to dress the part of their profession, so we've seen gas-station attendants, crab fishermen, firemen, transsexual pole dancers, samba dancers. Ladies are welcome to try out on the men's course, so there's always a couple who take that chance, however, there is a separate women's competition. Also fun is watching people wipe out, dislocate shoulders, bang heads and fall into the swampy pits under the obstacle course. The English translations from the Japanese announcers are pretty dang funny, too.
Anyway, we love to have our warm and fuzzy family dinner together at the table and then retire to the living room to watch a little Ninja Warrior. We get a little ramped up with all the excitement and before long, the kids are turning somersaults and running back and forth along the window seat doing karate chops. Anyhow. And just so everyone knows, it is a very un-violent show...no one fights and the injuries, although they sound horrendous, are really quite minimal. It's actually a good example for the kids to see the very polite Japanese competitors cheering each other on and crying out in distress when their arch-rivals fail in the third round.
OK, enough about Ninja Warrior. We didn't do too much this past week. We're just getting ready for our first packout, which is (gulp) on the 15th. It's coming up quick. It just hit me today that we have about three weeks left in this house. Even though I cheered when we dropped the last (!) rent check off at the bank this week, I am going to miss this house and especially this neighborhood. Although we have endured freezing cold, searing heat, rodents, ants, skunks and godawful utility bills, living on The Point has been a treat. I am so glad that we decided to live here. Sniff.
Then it's on to the Navy Lodge, which should be interesting. I'm taking heart in the fact that I can crank the heat up as high as I want it and that I won't have to clean every single day, or I'll have to clean a lot less square footage anyway! I'm sure I'll still clean every day...that's just who I am. Jan's daughter.
Love ya, Mom!
Comments